Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Best wishes: How good are they?

One of my good friend’s father died in a tragic accident in the first week on the new year. It was very unfortunate and shocking.  Such a bad start for her to the new year! Didn’t people send her good wishes on the new year? Wasn’t she expecting a lot of good things in the year? Of course she did! Then what about all the good wishes she had? Why didn’t they work for her? It just got me thinking on this concept of best wishes.
For most of us, it has become a tradition to wish people on special occasions. We send flowery greeting cards, wordy messages etc. Have we ever given it a thought if we really mean them? I think this is one of the side effects of the social media. I always refrain from sending forwards to friends. The best example is there is an sms that defines what a friend is. Few relations in earth never die. Suppose you are in trouble, can you bank on all the people you shared this message with that they will be there for you? Or if your ‘friend’ is in trouble, will you ensure to stand by him/her? There are very few people in our lives who really mean a lot to us. We should definitely convey our emotions to them. But we should say it only when we mean it. The expression ‘I love you’ is being used so commonly that I think the real essence of that expression is lost. ‘Oh, you got me a nice present on my birthday, I love you’, ‘you are so sweet, you got me that print out, I love you’. Do we really feel that way? I came across a very nice dialogue in one of the recent Hindi movies. A person asks his friend to apologize only when it comes from his heart. Our words convey emotions only when they come from our heart. Next time you buy a card or send an sms to anybody, watch out for the words carefully.

1 comment: