Thursday, March 21, 2013

The High-Spirited Mumbai!


I have been visiting Mumbai since my childhood to meet some of my relatives. I have always disliked the city for it's crowded and cramped localities and humid weather. The only things I have loved about the city are the punctual local trains, the glitz and glamour (thanks to Bollywood), and the fashion streets of course. I visited Mumbai again last week after a long time. Surprizingly, I enjoyed my stay in Mumbai this time. Whatever I saw and observed around in this trip changed my perspective about the city.
Mumbai! As they say, it's a city of dreams. Exodus of aspirants move to Mumbai every year, holding big dreams in their eyes. Mumbai does not disappoint anyone. It absorbs all the people. All the man-made boundaries smudge in the city and everyone becomes just a Mumbaikar. And the Mumbai spirit is well-known in the world. The 'never die' attitude! This city is always on the run, but I have never heard a single Mumbaikar complain about it. Land and time are the costliest in Mumbai. Mumbaikars may have very little of these two, but they master the art of using these limitations constructively. Even a one-room house is well-equipped and beautifully decorated and the busiest person enjoys various shades of life. We must learn the art of living from these people. They work hard, earn money, spend money, and enjoy life to the fullest! Even in the fast-paced life, they never fail to enjoy an evening with family at Juhu Choupaty or to help a needy friend or neighbour. Everyone knows here that 'money' is the only big daddy and one has to work harder to earn it. And people do work hard day-in day-out. If one is ready to work hard, Mumbai gives plenty of opportunities to earn a lot of money. At the same time, it costs you a bomb too, to lead a decent life.
Mumbai presents people with great challenges in life, no doubt. However, in my opinion, Mumbai teaches people how to live their lives!

2 comments:

  1. Like they say, a true Mumbaikar never complains about crowds, locals, pollution, etc. He has already internalised all of this. I love Mumbai. I am in love with the place for all good and bad reasons. The first thing that strikes me about Mumbai is the stench. Lately, you can actually "smell" Mumbai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Mumbai is crowded and too fast but there is a charm in the city, its too hard sometimes but it teaches u to live the life to fullest...!!!

    ReplyDelete